October 7, 2011
When having home showings or open houses, as seller you need to be aware that strangers will be walking through your home so take some simple precautions:
- Hide or lock away valuables, including prescription drugs.
- Take keys, cash, credit cards and jewelry with you.
- Don’t leave personal information exposed where anyone can see it. This includes mail and logged in computers. Make sure your computers are locked and, in the case of smaller items such as smartphones and iPods, locked away.
- Never show your home by yourself. Not all buyers and agents are who they say they are. Going through your agent, and often the agent’s showing service, leaves a trail that can be followed should anything go wrong.
- Properly secure all pets. If anyone is attacked you as the seller will be held liable. It is also for the pet’s protection as well.
- Make sure all windows and doors are secure and valuables are secure after showings and open houses. Your agent should do this as well on open houses.