0November 6, 2011
It’s that time of year again- start to winterize your home now so you can keep your home warm and protect it from the cold. Here are a few simple things you can do:
- Insulate all pipes that are exposed and susceptible to freezing.
- Seal leaks around windows, doors, vents, and pipes with caulk and/or insulation.
- Replace air filters – while not winterizing per se, dirty filters restrict air flow and increase energy use.
- Drain sprinkler pipes to make sure undergound pipes do not burst.
- Drip water faucets that are outside and might get cold enough to freeze. Possible exceptions include faucets with stop valves inside the pipes that stop the water inside the home.
- Properly set (or program) your thermostat.